Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jesus and Genealogies

This week my Bible reading took me to the book of 1 Chronicles.

For many, these are the books that are difficult to read, particularly early in the morning. What is the purpose of these genealogies? is it really worth reading them? Don Carson provides helpful insight:

…biblical genealogies accomplish many things besides the obvious one of recording genealogical descent. If one were reading the Bible through, at this point the lists of names would serve, in part, as a review: the beginnings up to David, with 1 and 2 Chronicles taking the reader to the end of the active Davidic dynasty. The genealogy also sets out in brief compass some of the branches that can easily be lost to view in the tangle of reading the narratives themselves. How are Abraham's descendants tied to Noah? Abraham himself had children by three women: Hagar, Keturah, and Sarah. Where did they end up?

Of course, the genealogy does not aim to be comprehensive. It is heading toward Judah, toward the Davidic dynasty. And this is the point: There is movement and change, there are developments and fresh covenants, but from the beginning the Bible's story line has been a unified account heading toward the Davidic line, and ultimately toward 'great David's greater Son'…


1 comment:

preacherman said...

Great post.
I want you to know that I will be reading your blog often. I really find your blog challenging and encouraging to my faith. I love how it is full of the grace of God. I also would love to invite you to join in any discussions on my blog as well. I pray that God will bless your ministry in a powerful way.

In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman