Sunday, February 03, 2008

Overloaded?

I first saw the link to this web article on another blog, somewhere, sometime in the last week. Don't know who, don't know when. I just remember seeing it, and then seeing it referenced again by Desiring God today.

I don't have 157 books to read like Phil Ryken, but I do have over 100 on my "to read" list. And a half dozen journals. And too many blogs and web articles each day.

Just yesterday when I was late in calling my Dad for a regular visit I said, "As usual, it took me longer to do what I wanted to do." Actually, that should have been, "it took me longer to do less than I wanted to do." I know that sounds familiar. It is the world in which we live.

So, of all the things clamoring for your attention, take 5-8 minutes to read and think about Ryken's article "Overloaded." Here is a quote that I thought important:

"The more we watch the lives of men, the more we see that one of the reasons why men are not occupied with great thoughts and interests is the way in which their lives are overfilled with little things." [Phillips Brooks]

No comments: