Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Salsa recipe

If you like Mexican food, and like fresh salsa with a little bite, try this one. It's excellent on chips, homemade tortillas, grilled chicken sandwiches and hamburgers. [Or, try my favorite restaurant salsa, from Blue Mesa Grill.]

I don't measure anything, so my measurements here are guesses:

3-4 cloves garlic
Juice of one lime
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. brown sugar (this is my "secret" ingredient)
1-2 tbsp. red wine vinegar (this acts as a preservative)
1 bunch cilantro (this varies, depending on the size of the bunch I get from the grocery)
3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I prefer La Costena brand)

Put all these ingredients in a food processor and chop until the cilantro is fairly finely chopped (about 5-10 seconds) Add 1 large can of whole tomatoes (I drain the sauce because I prefer a chunkier salsa), and pulse until you get the consistency you like (I chop it for about 5-10 seconds).

Place into a bowl or sealable container; chop 1 more can of tomatoes in the food processor and add to the mixture and stir well to blend. [My food processor isn't large enough to handle both cans of tomatoes without spillage.]

Test and adjust seasonings to your taste. Enjoy!

No comments: