Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Father's Encouragement

This morning I read a quotation from Thomas Fuller (1608-1661). It is a succinct reminder both of the weight of our influence on and the extent of God's grace on our children as we seek to father them to the glory of God.

Lord, I find the genealogy of my Savior strangely checkered
with four remarkable changes in four generations.

Rehoboam begat Abia:
a bad father begat a bad son.
Abia begat Asa:
a bad father and a good son.
Asa begat Jehoshaphat:
a good father and a good son.
Jehosaphat begat Joram:
a good father and a bad son.

I see, Lord, from hence, that my father's piety cannot be entailed;
that is bad news for me.
But I see also that actual impiety is not hereditary;
that is good news for my son.

(HT: Gordon MacDonald)


No comments: