Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday Leftovers (6/10/07)

Call this, "How to listen to a sermon about marriage (or any sermon)."

There is a temptation when a pastor announces his sermon topic as being "the roles of husbands and wives in marriage," for a husband or a wife to inwardly cheer, thinking, "Wonderful! I am so glad we came this morning for my wife/husband to be able to hear this. She/he needs to change…"

Is this profitable listening and worship?

I am struck by the fact that God approaches the subject of marital roles and attitudes in the same way through two different pens: Paul and Peter. In Ephesians 5:22ff and 1 Pt. 3:1-7, both writers address both husbands and wives separately and distinctly. Both write in this manner: "In the same way, you wives…" (1 Pt. 3:1). And, "Husbands, love your wives…" (Eph. 5:25). With those particular addresses, God is not only drawing the attention of both husbands and wives to their particular responsibilities and calling them to be especially attentive to the words, but is also affirming that the words are for husbands or wives alone. The wife is not responsible to obey the words to the husband, nor is the husband responsible to follow the words to the wife. That's obvious enough.

But this is also true: nor are these words written to give the husband a figurative hammer to hold over his wife's head (nor a wife over the head of the husband). The husband should be encouraged that God has clearly written about the role of the wife, but it is not his "responsibility" to enforce her obedience. That is not worshipful listening to a sermon.

Worshipful listening to a sermon says, "This word is being spoken to me. How can I take this truth and use it to be transformed into greater Christlikeness this week?"

The Word of God is powerful and able to do at least four things in the life of the believer. As we listen to sermons, we should always be asking at least these four questions:

  • Is there some truth being revealed which I did not know? (Learn it!)
  • Is there some sin in my life which needs to be addressed? (Confess it!)
  • Is there some spiritual weakness which needs correction? (Obey it!)
  • Is there some righteousness which I need to put on and in which I need training? (Put it on!)

So, go back to the moment when a husband and wife, who are struggling in their marriage, here this topic announced by the pastor: "This morning's sermon addresses a Biblical understanding of how a husband graciously leads and a wife humbly submits in a godly home." How shall they respond? "Wonderful! I am so glad we came this morning, because we are struggling in our marriage, and I know that the primary responsibility is mine. I want to hear this word so that I can be changed and honor God more righteously in my home. Lord, will you give me ears to hear and a heart to obey the truth that I hear this morning?"

That will be both profitable listening and worship!


No comments: